Panic in Winesburg, Ohio

People often have “panic” attack right before they get a test back or right before they give a speech. Though those are a part of normal human reactions some people deal with panic attacks regularly and with little to no provocation.  Symptoms of panic attacks are anything from a “racing” heart, tingling and numbness in their hands and fingers, and feeling a loss of control. Panic attacks and anxiety attacks often go hand in hand in symptoms and treatments. Treatment for panic is usually therapy or antidepressants, such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, though speaking to professionals have the biggest successes with the treatment. Panic can be seen in Winesburg Ohio in “Hands.” Wing Biddlebaum lives in isolation due to panic attacks that he has due to his past life as a teacher. Panic attacks often cause people to isolate themselves from friends and family or cutting off activities they once often enjoyed.

 My brother developed very bad panic attacks stemming from PTSD that he also developed. His senior year of high school and his freshman year of college he secluded himself from activities he once used to love. One memory that stick out to me is that we were on our way back from a choir competition and the choir was singing on the bus. He ended up having a severe panic attack and I had to go attempt to calm him down which was something I had never had to do. Throughout the years I have been the one my brother will call to calm him down from panic attacks, and he is the one I call when I need help with my anxiety attacks. Talking to someone who knows what you are going through really helps you in the midst of a panic attack.

Comments

Popular Posts